Role Description – Telephone Chat Scheme
Forum 50+’s current objective is to support people over 50 in the Telford & Wrekin area, to ease loneliness and isolation through connecting with others.
The Telephone Chat Scheme was set up in early 2020 to support people through the Covid-19 lockdown period. We have chosen to continue and develop the scheme as it has proven to provide very beneficial support, providing company and a listening ear, helping people feel more positive and better supported.
Working from our home, calling clients generally at least once a week at agreed times, to chat, listen and check that they’re coping OK.
- Calling one or more clients depending on the maximum number you are comfortable taking on and as agreed with the Forum Co-ordinator.
- Reporting any concerns or problems that need further referrals or investigation, to the Forum Co-ordinator.
- Reading and understanding the guidelines issued before starting.
- Not sharing information about clients or what they tell you, with anyone else.
- Keeping your own record of all calls, dates, times, durations and any specific relevant information.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Understanding of the needs of older people in the community.
- Patience and sensitivity.
- Understanding of confidentiality.
- Reliability to keep to agreed times but flexibility when needed.
This is dependent on the number of clients, and length of calls, which can be 10 minutes to an hour, but it is preferable to chat for at least around 20 minutes if both parties are happy to do so.
Length of service – it is hoped that volunteers will be able to commit for a minimum of 3 months.
We welcome volunteers of all ages over 18. We’re happy to offer students the opportunity to gain experience engaging with older people and will consider student placements too.
Volunteers will be given a copy of the scheme guidelines.
As this role isn’t eligible for a standard or enhanced DBS check, the Forum may ask volunteers to apply for a basic DBS check, payable by the Forum. The Forum may accept a DBS check obtained through a previous activity.
Contact us if you would like to discuss this further, or express your interest by completing the form below and we’ll get back to you.