The Forum’s objective is to support people over 50 in the Telford & Wrekin area, to cope with loneliness, isolation, low mood and anxiety, helping them to feel better supported , build new connections and regain a more active lifestyle.
Meeting clients face to face, either at their home, or at another location, at a regular agreed interval. Volunteers may be interested in doing one or more of the following:
- Provide company and support for those who are housebound, encouraging ways in which they might increase connection from home.
- Help people to build trust and confidence to explore going out and becoming more socially active.
- Support people to develop digital skills and confidence.
- Take on one or more clients depending on the maximum number you are comfortable taking on and as agreed with the Forum Co-ordinator.
- Read and understand the guidelines issued before starting and carrying out your duties in accordance with the guidelines and agreed purpose of the scheme.
- Being mindful of your own and your client’s safety and following safety procedures.
- Report any changes to arrangements and concerns or problems that need further referrals or investigation, to the Forum staff.
- Not share information about clients or what they tell you, with anyone else.
- Keep your own record of all calls, dates, times, durations and any specific relevant information and maintain communication with Forum staff.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Understanding of the needs of older people in the community.
- Patience and sensitivity.
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures.
- Reliability to keep to agreed times but flexibility when needed.
Home visits are generally around an hour. Meeting up in another location may require a little more time. Frequency may weekly, fortnightly or monthly for each client.
Travel expenses are payable for getting to and from clients homes or meeting locations.
Volunteers will be given a copy of the Befrienders Handbook and meet with the Forum Co-ordinator to go through the guidelines.
The Forum will carry out an enhanced DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service, payable by the Forum. The Forum may accept a recent enhance DBS check obtained through another organisation for a similar role.
Express your interest by completing the form below and we’ll get back to you.
How we handle your data.