The Forum’s objective is to support people over 50 in the Telford & Wrekin area, to cope with loneliness, isolation, low mood and anxiety, helping them to feel better supported, build new connections and regain a more active lifestyle.
Outline of role
- Meeting clients face to face, either at their home, or at another location, on a fairly regular basis.
2. Volunteers may be interested in doing one or more of the following:
- Provide company and support for those who are housebound.
- Help people to build trust and confidence to explore going out and becoming more socially active.
- Support people to develop digital skills and confidence.
- Take on one or more clients depending on the maximum number you are comfortable taking on and as agreed with the Forum Co-ordinator.
- Read and understand the guidelines issued before starting and carry out your duties in accordance with the guidelines and agreed purpose of the scheme.
- Be mindful of your own and your client’s safety and follow safety procedures.
- Report any changes to arrangements, and periods when you are not available.
- Report any concerns or problems that need further referrals or investigation.
- Not share information about clients or what they tell you, with anyone else, unless there safeguarding concerns.
- Keep your own record of all calls, dates, times, durations and any specific relevant information and maintain communication with Forum staff.
Forum 50+ will:
- Meet with you to provide you with and discuss with you the guidelines and any other information required for you to carry out the role.
- Provide continuous support and regular communication with you.
- Carry out a visit to a client’s home before asking you to visit there.
- Agree flexible volunteering arrangements to suit your available time.
- Welcome your feedback, suggestions, concerns.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Understanding of the needs of older people in the community.
- Patience and sensitivity.
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures.
- Reliability to keep to agreed times but flexibility when needed.
Home visits are generally around an hour. Meeting up in another location or accompanying a client to the shops, café or community activity may require a little more time. Frequency may weekly, fortnightly or every few weeks.
Volunteers will be given a copy of the Role Guidelines and meet with the Forum Co-ordinator to go through the guidelines.
The Forum will carry out an enhanced DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service, payable by the Forum. The Forum may accept a recent enhance DBS check obtained through another organisation for a similar role.
Volunteers will be given, or sent digitally, timesheets and expenses claim form.
Express your interest by completing the form below and we’ll get back to you.
How we handle your data.